Anglistisches Seminar Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
Siegel der Universität Heidelberg

[««]   [»»]

Erasmus+ - Studying in Great Britain or another European country

The Erasmus+ Programme is an extension and continuation of the old Erasmus programe and some lesser known funding opportunities.

Erasmus+ now covers both funding to help with European university exchanges and funding for internships, work placements and the like.

Any immatriculated Heidelberg student can study at a European partner university. (You do not have to be a European citizen to be eligible for a place, though if you are not you will need to apply for a visa to study in Britain and probably overcome other bureaucratic hurdles such as obtaining an IELTS certificate.)

Our department has exchanges with the universities displayed on the departmental website at There are exchanges with German Departments and English (usually this means English Literature) Departments.

Note that:

  1. British universities often limit the number of classes you can take outside the subject you are on exchange with. Studying at a German Dept. means you will probably have to take some classes there. 
  2. These exchanges are mostly for undergraduate students, that is to say, they cannot accept MA/PhD students. Information on the (regrettably small) number of Erasmus exchanges at postgrad level is available from the Erasmus Hiws (
The places are advertised in October, applications have to be with Bruce Gaston by December, and selection takes place in January/February so that students are informed by the end of the winter semester whether or not they have been given a place. There is a meeting for all those interested at the beginning of the winter semester, but anyone unable to attend should go to his or his Hiwis' Sprechstunde for details.

Students do not have to pay tuition fees, and there is a small grant of at least EUR 250 per month. Few host universities guarantee accommodation, but most of them offer at least help with finding some. In all cases accommodation has to be paid for.

Further information, including reports from students who have been abroad, can be found in the Erasmus folder in the basement of the library, on our website at (please note in particular our FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions), and on the following site of the Dezernat Internationale Beziehungen (the office formerly known as the Akademisches Auslandsamt) :

Erasmus+ funding for internships is (theoretically) available at any time during the year. In the first instance, please speak to Bruce Gaston, though he can only help you with filling in the application form. Apart from that, you have to find a place and organise everything yourself. A good website to start looking is

Letzte Änderung: Gaston am 28.August 2018
Verantwortlich: Gaston

  • Studium